They don't really work in real life. Sure, if the line is original and the dude pushing it is amazingly wonderful. But let's face it, mostly the lines are crap and the dudes uttering them crapper. Or, at least misguided enough to believe women actually want to hear them. I've heard a few different types of pick-up's, ranging from opening lines, to sob stories, to flat out grope attempts to faux friendship makers. Most women can spot a pick-up instantly, although the picker-uppers generally fail to notice our subtle reactions and subsequent turn-downs.
So, what's a guy to do?
- Lose the lines. We've heard them all, and the only reaction you'll get will be laughter (contrary to popular belief, this does not increase chances)
- Get over yourself. If you're nervous or insecure, the only way you can work it is being yourself. Trying to be something or someone else will not work. Ditto getting drunk. I once had a guy tell me he was only chatting me up because he was drunk and that he never would have approached me if he hadn't been; this made me feel awful. No women likes a loser; if you think you are one, so will she.
- Don't try and make her feel sorry for you. Yes, it's tragic about your granny/dog/firing, but save it for your friends. Pity never got anyone very far anyway, it's a cheap shot.
- Unless you actually are, do not be buddy-buddy. Sure, I've had guy friends make a move, but I don't bite it when someone I've just met suddenly wants to be my friend. This backfires too, I'll be his friend - but nothing more. (this only applies to guys who've tried to get lucky beforehand, and think this approach may work better)
- Do not, ever, try to grope her. This will lead to a slap in the face at best, and a session with her guy friends outside at worst. This includes trying to take her hand, rubbing her back, putting your hand anywhere on her for that matter, when she does not seem interested.
If you like her, be a man and go and say hello. The risk of her being either not available or not interested far outweighs the chances of her being impresses by your confidence and maturity. It separates the men from the boys after all.